Welcome to a new trend in beauty: hair chalking. I’ve been hearing this term floating around amongst the “hipsters” of Tumblr and decided to do some research. Turns out, it’s actually the coolest non-committal beauty trend I’ve seen in awhile! So, what exactly is hair chalking? It’s taking your hair and using either regular chalk or specifically made hair chalk to color your hair. Crazy? Maybe. Fun? Definitely.
What you need to know about hair chalking:
1. It can be done to ALL hair colors and types; blondes, brunettes, redheads, all without the use of bleach or dyes.
2. If you use soft pastels chalk from your local arts store, be sure to not use oil pastels.
3. Blick is a good brand to go for.
4. There is also a brand called HairColorChalk, which makes hyper pigmented chalks specifically intended for hair.
5. If you have dark hair, you should lightly moisten it before applying the chalk.
6. If you have blonde hair, do not moisten your hair or it WILL stain.
7. To apply just twist your hair, then rub the chalk into and around it, small sections as a time.
8. You can have fun with the style! braids, fishtails, buns, beachy waves, etc.
9. Before you shower and wash your hair, brush out as much of the color as you can.
Is it really that easy? Yes! You too can have My Little Pony, unicorn or mermaid hair for the weekend, and still show up to work on Monday looking like your buttoned-up professional self.
Image courtesy of Kiyah Wright
Have you tried hair chalking, or do you want to? Any master tips, brands to watch for, fun styling ideas? Share with us in the comments! I’ll also be answering questions.
Written by Sahra Schukraft
Read her fashion and lifestyle blog, Effortless Cool!
Header image courtesy of theprivateroombh.com